Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I ♥ Sacramento {Rick’s Dessert Diner}

I have been tossing around the idea for this feature for awhile. My hometown, Sacramento, may the state capitol of California, but in spite of (or because of?) this fact we can’t get no respect. My parents were born and/or raised in Sac and though most of my childhood was spent in Hawaii and St. Louis, Missouri I now wholeheartedly love Sacramento as if I lived here my whole life. I have lived here since I was 14, which didn’t seem that long till I just did the math. It’s long enough.
We have been called a “Cow Town” for years and Kings fan’s penchants for the cowbell (waaaay back in the day when we had a decent basketball team) didn’t really help dispel that image. Now, our NBA team eats everyone else’s dirt, but the city itself is enjoying more music, art, shopping and nightlife than it has in a long time. Sure, some lifelong Sacramentans don’t exactly love some of the changes going on around town, but as long as we keep welcoming such awesome events as the SactoMoFo (Sacramento Mobile Food Festival) all is right in my world.
Doing a feature like this about my town and it’s close neighbors lets me share my favorite places and gets me out of my comfort zone of normal haunts and exploring the city with the fam. Win win!
I ♥ Rick’s Dessert Diner
2322 K Street
Sacramento, CA 95816 (Map)
(916) 444-0969
Tuesday through Thursday: 10 AM – 12 AM
Friday and Saturday: 10 AM - 1 AM
Sunday: 12 Noon – 11 PM
Monday: 10 AM – 11 PM
Picnik collage1
Picnik collage
Obviously it was hard to choose. They had four different kinds of brownies. Chocolate Mint, White Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Fudge and Chocolate Fudge White Chocolate Swirl. We got Chocolate Fudge White Chocolate Swirl along with a slice of Lemon Strawberry Cake, Red Velvet Cake and and Almond Apricot Chocolate creation. Lily got vanilla ice cream. Though before deciding on ice cream, she asked if she could get a whole cake while standing in front of the case below. I can respect that.
Picnik collage5
I love this picture of Charlotte. She was literally jumping up and down when we walked in. It was awesome. She kept eyeballing the eclairs, but ultimately was *ahem* guided towards the brownies. Picnik collage3
Picnik collage4
I’d be lying if I said this was our favorite place in town for desserts - it isn’t. But as far as atmosphere and choice go, this is where it’s at. On weekend evenings on through till closing it’s a packed madhouse, but the wait just adds to the fun(it does, really! Two words: people watching). Over the years I have learned that I prefer their lemon cakes, bars and cheesecakes as opposed to their chocolate and most cake offerings. Their sweets are overly sweet at times, so be warned of you prefer a more bittersweet chocolate or subtle sweetness (like I do). Aaron is a chocolate junkie and at times he feels the chocolate treats are a bit too much of a good thing.
I was just informed by my brother’s girlfriend that she has never been. Looks like I’ll be going back with her tomorrow…
 Rick's Dessert Diner on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. great post! i like ricks, but ginger elizabeth's is probably my favorite dessert spot...where i can have a pebble sized sweet instead of BOULDER sized sweet. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to go to ANY dessert shop located in the area. I shall try Rick's. Mind if I ask what your Favorite one is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elle, it's Tower Cafe, but my Aunt is their pastry chef so its all stuff I grew up on, so I'm not sure it's fair to say its the "best ever" even though I think so!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, it will be approved after I make sure you aren't a cylon. I have tests for that.